Saturday 4 November 2023

My favourite way to travel

As an enthusiastic lifelong traveler I have travelled in many different ways; by air, by sea, through the Canterbury skies in a glider, piloted by my brother, in a hot air balloon over the spectacular Turkish landscape of Cappadocia and in numerous cable cars but my favourite way to travel has always been by train.

 Flying I find a bit of an ordeal, it is simply a means to an end and is the fastest way of getting where I want to go. It’s no joy to be cramped in a steel tube for endless hours, however until someone can come up with something better it is still the quickest and most efficient way to cross the world.


You can get some fantastic views from a plane like this one of
New Zealand's Southern Alps but I still think the best thing about flying is arriving and getting off.

Travelling by sea is fun although it is more about the actual cruising and life on board ship than the reaching of destinations. It is a holiday in itself and ports of call along the way are usually only brief stops. Although I love the sea, and am always happy to spend time gazing at it, that is generally all you see from a ship. Having said that, ferries, such as New Zealand’s Inter Islander or the Waiheke Island ferry, can be extremely scenic and I enjoy them too.

You get to see some amazing sunrises and sunsets at sea


Gliding, ballooning and cable cars are not really ways to travel, more like exciting activities.  They are great, though and I am very pleased to have experienced them
Left: On the Cable Car near Cairns, Australia

But trains, I love them, not in a crazy train spotter kind of way, simply because they are a great way to travel. I have travelled around several countries in Europe and all over Great Britain and Japan on trains and never tire of them. Just buy a ticket, enjoy the space and comfort, maybe walk around, buy some snacks, a coffee or a glass of wine and use the bathrooms but best of all get to enjoy the passing scenery. You really do get to see a country from a train. I have so many great memories of sights I’ve seen from trains, like Mt Fuji in Japan, quaint villages in England, the magnificent Swiss Alps and the romantic Italian Lakes not to mention amazing scenery in both New Zealand and Australia.

Mt Fuji from Japan's Shinkansen train

When my late husband and I were in Switzerland we took the Golden Pass Train right up into the Swiss Alps, an all day trip which took us from Berne to Montreux and back. It was absolutely spectacular and we felt we got to see a lot; cows with bells on, villages and farm houses, steep snow clad mountains and lush alpine meadows, a sublime close up look at the country. A happy memory of that trip is my husband fizzing with delight, he’d always wanted to go to Switzerland. On that same tour of Europe we caught trains everywhere, across Italy, across France, it was so easy.

Swiss village from the Golden Pass train

I enjoyed the trip from Dunedin to Middlemarch on the Taieri Gorge Train, a trip through tranquil and isolated parts of Otago, New Zealand and the wonderful Kuranda Scenic Railway in Queensland, albeit I found the return trip by cable car over crocodile infested rivers rather nerve wracking!

The Taieri Gorge train crossing a viaduct in Otago, New Zealand

I achieved a long held dream in 2015 to travel on Australia’s Ghan train which goes from Darwin right through the centre of Australia to Adelaide. It certainly was a dream worth waiting for, I loved every minute. The four day trip travels through the outback which is vast and pretty featureless, nevertheless with its own magic. The thing about the Ghan is the high quality of the food and wine provided inclusive in your fare, the fascinating destinations you visit and the social life you enjoy in the train’s lounge. Lying in a comfortable bed and looking out at a sky crammed full of glittering stars and watching brilliant sunrises and sunsets over the dessert are joys beyond compare.
 ( I wrote a series of blogs about the Ghan trip in June 2015.  
Type The Ghan into the search box to find them)

The Ghan - a dream worth waiting for




In China in 2018 I travelled on the world’s fastest train. 
It reaches speeds of 431 kms 
per hour and can cover 30 ks in 
7 minutes 20 seconds It was a thrilling if short experience.

Right:  The world's fastest train as at 2018

Every chance I get I like to travel by train. Recently I took the Trans Alpine in the South Island of New Zealand from Christchurch to Greymouth and back. It was everything I hoped it would be, firstly travelling across the Canterbury plains and then through the magnificent snow clad Southern Alps and finally through bush and over rivers. On the return journey the mountains were bathed in a pink glow from the setting sun, I felt so grateful to live in such a beautiful country.

New Zealand's Southern Alps from the Trans Alpine train

Early in 2024 I am booked to travel by train from Perth to Sydney, meaning I will have travelled from the top to the bottom and the West to the East of Australia. I am so looking forward to it. There are plenty of other train trips I hope to do before I die, although I don’t think my finances will stretch to the Orient Express, but that doesn’t matter I am content to know I can enjoy many train trips in the years to come. In my mind anyway it is the best, and my favourite way to travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment